Sunday, August 21, 2011

Last Night's Party

Last night I cooked dinner for Dave and two friends from work, Sarah and Jordan. They brought LOTS of chips and dip (salsa, 7-layer bean, guacamole), and margaritas. I made portobello fajitas and Spanish rice and stuck with some red wine because I had to work. We ate dinner, talked, laughed, watched a movie, and then Emily from work also came over. She works at Buck's Grill so she wasn't there until almost 10 p.m. and had to work early the next day so she couldn't stay long.

We went outside and I taught Sarah how to make a "time bomb" out of a ziplock bag, vinegar and baking soda. We also played with cornstarch and made an "anti-Newtonian liquid." I use those a lot for my after school science programs (I didn't do any this year though)....

Around 2 a.m. Sarah and Jordan headed for their trailer, which they parked outside the house for the night. In the morning Deena, the neighbor came over and asked if we'd heard what happened last night. We said no, and she said that the house across from us had a huge party all night and were drinking and getting crazy. People were in the street yelling and this drunk guy started breaking into people's cars. So we all went outside to see if our vehicles had been broken into and thankfully, none were! Deena said that she called the police to check on things, and it turns out that about five other houses had called the police for the same reason!

Jordan said Sarah slept through all of it but he heard everything and it was definitely a crazy party. The guy wasn't breaking into cars to steal things, he was so drunk he didn't know where he was and was looking for his car, trying his keys in all of the ones he got into. Yikes! Jordan heard him getting in trouble with his friends at the party, then talking with the police....I don't know how the situation resolved (I had to leave for work)...

I came to work and got to be a step-on guide for a tour bus, then cleaned most of the rest of the day. Right now I'm sitting in the entrance station listening to it rain and happy that I found Disney music on my Pandora station!! I also think it's funny that tourists expect me to be able to tell them what the weather's going to do, and how long it's going to storm...

1 comment:

Jen said...

I need to know what this time bomb thing is. Sounds like the middle school kids I work with would enjoy it...if it's safe...