Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Learning New Things...

I did it! I learned to French braid my hair!

I've wanted to learn to French braid for years...but it was always something I thought I'd never be able to do. With this new job I've been learning all kinds of new things...including welding, riding a quad, using a chainsaw and even running a backhoe (I should mention most of these were just an introdution...except the quad, which I'm getting better at).


Yes, it's me using the backhoe! A volunteer and I were knocking down stacks of adobe bricks that no one ever did anything with. The were once wrapped in plastic...but in this sun and wind, the plastic disintigrated and the bricks were left exposed...so they're pretty much on their way back to the sand and clay they started as.


I decided one morning that if I could learn all these new things, why shouldn't I be able to French braid? I understood the idea, but could never get it to work. That morning I was determined to make it work! I washed my hair and then braided it into two French braids! I didn't get a picture of the double braid but here is the single, which I also got to work.

It usually ends up being really loose and comes out before the end of the day, but I figure it's a start!

It's the part at the end I have the most trouble with...but it still works for hiking and working!

I was a little too excited about this!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Haha, nice work! I remember the first time I figured out how to french braid my own hair; I think I was so excited when it finally turned out (after many failed attempts) I literally jumped up and down! :) Then again, i was like 13. :) But nice work! And two is harder, so master one, and then two will be a piece of cake. :) And if you have layers, the bottom will all be hard, so you can just end it earlier and it won't fall out as easily. :)